On 19 June I wrote my first challenge post and this is how I’ve done this month.
I wanted to finish the following projects and here’s how things went down:
- iPad cover for mom – Deadline 23.6. > Done 20.6.
- Lampshade for my sister – Deadline 26.6. > New deadline 13.7.
- Signal flag pillows for dad – Deadline
126.96.36.199. > No deadline currently. Working on them, didn’t have zippers but those are bought now.
- MQG QuiltCon quilt design – Finish my contribution, deadline 30.6. > Decided not to enter, like the design and want it as my own.
- Placemats – Deadline 30.6. > Not done, have worked on other projects instead.
These projects I wanted to make progress on in the following way:
- breathe quilt – Decide which font to use > Done 22.6.
- Journal cover – Bought a journal the other day and it needs a cover; my first foundation paper piecing is coming up, so at least finish the FPP heart in June > Not quite done yet.
- MQG Michael Miller fabric challenge – Order stuff for appliqué, design the quilt, and make a template whilst waiting for said order > Went for freezer paper, not fusible web, and the quilt is designed and template partly made (still thinking about the shape, not convinced).
- Printer cover – I keep dusting the printer but it should be covered; status report and game plan > July week 2; the back needs to be closed and bottom seam sewn.
- Signal flags quilt – Status report and game plan > First decide whether block size is okay, then identify techniques involved in each block.
- Skill Builder 2013 quilt – Make the Sound Wave block > Nope, worked on other projects.
- Tea pot cover – Have looked for an FPP pattern for a long time and found a couple that are almost but not quite there; making a first draft for a pattern is June’s sub-project > Purchased a drawing app and am learning how to use it still.
These projects I worked on instead:
- I submitted a quilt design to the new Quilt Now magazine using Sara Lawson’s Jungle Ave. fabric line; it’s a competition on her blog. It was a great experience and I had lots of fun.
- I made the first block of Quilty Stitches sampler along.
- I designed my first cross-stitch pattern and have worked a bit on it, being my own pattern tester. It’s funny how I was the one to draw the pattern, yet once I’m supposed to translate it to stitches on the canvas, I have to refer to the pattern over and over. The motif is a quote and I’m sure I’ll have it done in no time, so I can show you.
- I reorganised a bit here on the blog (a bit means an hour or so; surprisingly time-consuming).
Putting stuff in writing makes me realise what I perceived as fairly unproductive was in fact a very focussed and happy time.
I felt really good knowing I had only a handful of these “assignments” rather than go all “la la laaa, I can’t hear you, I’m confused and can’t decide which project to grab next”, then get nothing done.
This format is something I most certainly will do again for July. Do you keep yourself organised in a similar kind of way?