I have a kitchen curtain!

After thirteen years without a kitchen curtain, I finally spent some time yesterday sewing one. Tadaah!

Kitchen window - Without curtain

Before – Looking very sad and empty

Kitchen curtain - Prepping

Prepping the fabric

Kitchen window - With curtain

After – Very much better

The space isn’t lending itself to tall, flowy floor-to-ceiling curtains, because the door to the balcony is to the left and the fridge/freezer is to the right. The dark wooden rectangle in the window frame is a slim airing window.

The curtain ended up being 39 cm tall (about 15 1/3”) and something around 195-200 cm wide (76”-79” range). I used one of those ribbons with built-in strings (with which you can create ruffles) to which I attached the plastic hooks that in turn were slid into the gliding thingies of the curtain rod. In Swedish they are called “ryttare”, rider or horseman, when you’re talking about the stuff connecting a sail to a mast; similar types of contraptions are what glide back and forth in my curtain rod, too.

The fabric is Paasi designed by Pentti Rinta for Marimekko in 1976 and it was made by printing black stripes on white fabric.

I’ve also managed to sew a cover for a tower of baskets containing miscellaneous linens and some cleaning gear to keep the dust at bay. I used a flat sheet from Ikea, which was the perfect width to cover the structure on three sides, so all I had to do was cut it to length. The raw edge was finished and I sewed 14 strings of ribbon around all perimeters to tie them around the corner legs.

Yesterday I’ve put a new fabric on the headboard of my bed. Originally, it was covered in a beige fabric with brown leaves and rusty orange berries, but the colour scheme doesn’t fit in my home, so I picked a white fabric purchased several years ago, which now suits the white, minimalist bedskirt (flat like the kitchen curtain) very well. The badly-fraying fabric is most likely Lenda by Ikea, so once I had cut a piece of suitable size, I used the same stitch as on the curtain to secure the edges. Thanks to my vast experience on using a staple gun (yay, pressing board!) I knew exactly what to do next and the rest is history.

A couple of days ago I started on a dust cover for my Canon Pixma, but it’s on the ice right now. I needed to see quick progress, but there was so much math and round corners involved that I decided to take a break to avoid getting angry at the project.

Any time I open a particular door my eyes see a hot mess of yarn projects, so I tackled the perfect storage for them last night, but consider this a teaser; more later during the weekend! I waited thirteen years for a kitchen curtain, so a few hours is nothing, hehe.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s