Chevron pillow part 2

As described in part 1 of the short series on my Chevron pillow patchwork practice project (that’s a lot of p’s man), I messed up a few things even on its first meters, but some other aspects of it took me rather by surprise, namely the learning experiences that I had not seen coming. I’m thinking of the exactness of the craft; a fraction of a millimeter can become a looong gap between should-been meeting points such as this one here, my pride (insert plenty of eye rolling, please):

Glorious patch gap

.

I’m also thinking of the pleasure of achieving perfection at other meeting points such as here:

Perfect patch point

.

What came as a bonus was the “ah ha!” I had regarding stripe direction. When stripes are placed in parallel during sewing fabrics for half-square triangles together, they end up going in 90 degrees to each other in the final state of the patch, in this case actually better than if not:

Chevron pillow top

.

I was prepared for the white stripes on black not to meet through the whole chevron pattern, but the feel of the straight line cutting through the middle of the zigzag was unexpected. The camera probably doesn’t show it very well, but the effect is pretty dramatic in natural light.

You might have noticed already that I went a little gung ho on my choice of thread colour. I always play it safe and wanted to live more dangerously for once, see how much a black thread would actually show in the seams. Not very much, I’m surprised to say. Maybe it has something to do with me reading with a magnifying glass the sewing-machine manual on thread tension, then trying it out, maybe not.

I thought it was a nice experience to try out the grid for so-called quick piecing, but it really didn’t feel quick to me. Drawing both grid and diagonals was rather frustrating due to my slight streak of perfectionism, I didn’t want to dirty up the quilting ruler so ended up using an old 30 cm ruler which was too short for the job at hand, the pencil was annoyingly sharp (don’t have sewer’s chalk or whatever they use these days), and the nagging feeling of creating non-squares just wasn’t as pleasant as the nice squares on a line. What helped making the pillow front a lot less catastrophic, however, was the excellent presser foot with 1/4″ guide – I.LOVE.IT!

What I will focus more on in the future is:

  • Creating seamless patterns over two or more patches,
  • choosing directions of the pressed seams more neatly
  • and of course cutting as well as sewing together patches with greater care (when not being as tired as during this project).
  • The working area will have to be kept clear, since I this time have been forced to work with half the kitchen table overflowing,
  • and the table would preferably be at its longest for easy cutting in one end and sewing in the other, with a pressing station beside the sewing machine.

As a conclusion I can now call myself a patchworker and feel quite content with that description.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s